Friday 10 August 2007

八八么 (Papaya) - 摇啊摇 - 发啦!!!

Hmm...trying not to don my movie critic hat at this hour of the night, but I guess it does not harm just to give my cents or two of the movie...even though I know practically no one really read my blog...hahah...

First and foremost, I must say I really did enjoy the movie quite a bit and leaving the cinema red eyed and red nosed *blush* Too emotional I told myself but I'm always a sucker for those tear jerking moments and sitting at the last row of the theatre with no one else helps...hahaha

[Spoiler Alert]

Frankly the main cast especially the girl power namely Yeo Yann Yann 杨雁雁 (simply love her even more since Singapore Dreaming), Mindee Ong 王欣 (has seen her mature since her debut in the early idol times in the then TCS - she had mature as an actress and gave a very impressive performance in the show) and lastly Liu Ling Ling 刘玲玲 (outdo her performance in any J-Team flick, though she left an impression in me in I Not Stupid). These ladies really propelled the show to be as entertaining and touching as it can be. Though I must say the supernatural element (歌台娘娘), the laser shooting bra and the 如来神掌 like duel between the payayas and the durians, somewhat stupidify the movie though somehow hilariously funny.

However, I was not overly impressed by 715's performance. I guess there were so much rave reviews and accolades about his performance in the papers recently that I expected more than those pair of talking eyes. Hahaha...at times I don't even know if he is smiling during sad moments or sad during happy moments in the show. And do we need really to cast May and Choy as the Durian Sisters?
Yes...they are gaining lots of attention in the Singapore media scene but they were really a pain to see on screen especially when they spout those lines in their nearly non existence mandarin.

However, I guess it was quite an interesting hokkien musical movie to watch. Really like the songs , the many impressive 歌台 costumes and the way Royston Tan handles his shots and good editing. The narration by Royston Tan himself never fails to impress since I first watched <<15>>. His voice has a certain magnetism and is able to draw out the inner feelings in you to flow with his narration. 感性之音? Hahaha

Well, who says hokkien songs are "orbit" and "obiang"? I would say great job to Royston Tan for making a great film to pay tribute to our heritage, our tradition, our culture. Frankly I believe this film is also a tribute not only to 陈金浪 but also to the unsung heroes and heroines of the 七月
歌台.

啊摇 - 发啦!!!

3 comments:

  1. 715 hahaha... wasn't he so redundant in the movie?!! which paper reviewed him as good... no way! His character was flat as hell... wearing tight muscle shirt in that era.? and what era would that be to have techno Dj-ing and VCDs? If he Dj or mix music, I thought he would help the girls in some way with his music? And what with the chicken?? the one that fetched $50!!???

    I agree with you the girls were very good! And the film was good. Just thought 715 was absolutely silly in that role.

    btw, how are y ou? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 715 is in prob because of the effort to market him as a movie star.
    The Papaya sisters are good though personally I would prefer Mindee Ong. Thought Yann Yann looked too vulnerable.

    Hmmm....sitting at the last row with no one else.....used to like that as I can cry and laugh without feeling embarrassed.

    Well, 2 postings.....who says no one's reading your postings?

    DT

    ReplyDelete